Monday 15 September 2008

The issue that won't go away

OK ok ok - I know I've gone on and on about this cake but ...

Finally here is the definitive recipe for Tomato Soup Cake. Thanks to Pauline and Doug from Gosport. I can vouch for the fact that all your basic criteria for a cake are covered by this one ...

a) it looks like a cake
b) it tastes like a cake
c) despite it's dodgy tomato soup ingredient - I truly believe it IS a cake

Scroll down for the recipe - it is very tasty (unlike my efforts last week)

Elsewhere over the weekend I ended up visiting Ikea and buying a basket full of stuff I didn't really need. I can now provide ice in four different styles (normal cubes, jigsaw pieces, bottles and sticks). Also I am able to scrub by back and scrub my feet (not that I wasn't before) courtesy of the bathroom department. And - I am living the rock'n'roll dream, baby - I have 3 extra tea towels to add to my arsenal.

All of that I can live with but I made a rash purchase of a new light. All I'm going to say is that the showroom must have been deceptively spacious as I now have a light which gets in the way where ever you are in the room. Imagine a lamp on the end of a fishing rod that's bending over under the strain and you've just about got it. I fear it's going to have to be consigned to the dining room where it will attack unsuspecting guests.

Either that or ebay is just about to gain one more item.

So here's the joke ...

After suffering through years of his wife's awful coffee, the man spat it out and took the coffee maker to his lawyer.

Dropping it on the lawyer's desk, the man growled, "Here they are!"

"Here are what?" the startled lawyer asked.

"The grounds for divorce ...."
==================
Mental Maths time again and all fairly straight forward for the start of the week. Rules are simple no writing down, do all the sums in your head and see if you can get to the answer.

YOUR STARTING NUMBER TODAY IS ... 11

take off 4
times 6
double it
take off 36
divided by 4
take away 9
times 9
double it ....

AND THAT'S YOUR FINAL ANSWER .... 54

And finally ....

TOMATO SOUP CAKE

2 cups plain flour
11/2 cups sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
11/2 teaspoons ground allspice (not mixed spice)
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
1 can of condensed Tomato Soup
½ cup vegetable shortening ( I use vegetable oil )
2 eggs
¼ cup of water

Grease and flour two 8-inch sandwich pans.
Preheat oven to 350 F 180 C Gas 5

Put all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix on low speed until ingredients
are blended. Then at high speed for four minutes. Divide equally between
the two pans and bake for 35/40 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then remove from the pans and cool completely.

Cream cheese filling
==============
50g softened butter
50g cream cheese
Icing sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla essence

Blend butter and cream cheese, add vanilla. Add enough icing sugar to make the right consistency.

No comments: