Monday 6 October 2008

A lesson in perspective

Big things apparently look smaller the further away they are.

It's not new - it's even got a name. Perspective.

However every now and again I forget. And so there I was on Boscombe seafront with surf board surveying the now shifting horizon (that possibly should have been the clue) OK so it was a little bit windy and OK it was a little bit rainy. Perhaps the fact the rain didn't actually land and was travelling horizontally should have been clue 2.

Anyway in I pop skipping through the surf. Wallop! Back I go to the beach. Next I try a slightly more assertive run into the waves. Wallop! Again I arrive back on beach. And so it went on for the next hour. Every time I tried to go out a rather huge wave would quickly assist me back to the beach.

Now I know what you thinking - surely, Jon, that's the basic principal of surfing. You go out and then come back in. However am finally sure one of the rules of surfing is that when you come back you should be on or at least in the near proximity of your board.

I wasn't.

Am walking slightly like John Wayne today but am sure it'll all heal. They may even grow back.

PS Note no mention of my serious man flu condition despite my suffering.
PPS If I make it through will write again soon.

So here's the joke ...

A young pet monkey had an accident and needed a brain transplant. The veterinarian told the monkey's human family, "Brains are very expensive, and you will have to pay the cost yourselves."

"Well, how much does a brain cost?" asked the family.

"For a male brain, £300,000. For a female brain, £100,000," replied the vet.

All the men in the family nodded because they thought they understood. But the mother was unsatisfied and asked, "Why the difference in price between male and female brains?"

The vet replied "That's because the female brain has actually been used."

=================================
Mental Maths and the supply teacher set this one. Some of you liked it others struggled a bit with all the taking away. And it's nasty numbers for subtraction.

YOUR STARTING NUMBER TODAY IS .... 100

Minus 37
Minus 7
Minus 37
Minus 7
Multiplied by 12
Minus 44
Minus 37
Minus 7

AND THAT'S YOUR FINAL ANSWER 56

No comments: