Tuesday 26 February 2008

Average Joe

Have just noticed something about my sporting exploits.

I'm distinctly average at the lot of them - and it got me thinking. What would you rather be? A master of one sport or just OK at quite a few.

If you're a regular reader of my witterings you'll know already that I, on a fairly irregular basis, attempt to play football, tennis, golf and wobble around on my mountain bike. But after last nights performance on the pitch (missed an absolute sitter from less than 2 yards) it's becoming obvious perhaps I need to concentrate on just the one - which brings me back to the question.

The problem is if you're really good at one sport ie tennis no-one will want to play with you leaving the only option of having to take it all very, very seriously. It also means that when your mates fancy a knock about with a football you'll always end up being the one last picked, stood on the goal line looking like a plumb due to total lack of ability. All your sporting credits having been spent on the tennis court.

That's the one option. The other is the average at everything which means you always get to have a go but never quite feel satisfied.

Or score goals when you really should.

Off to the driving range with Producer Lewis tonight.

Another night of sporting mediocrity guaranteed.

And that's just Lewis.

So here's the joke ...

An elderly couple came back from a wedding one afternoon and were in a pretty romantic mood. While sitting on their loveseat, the elderly woman looked at her companion and said, "I remember when you used to kiss me every chance you had."

The old man feeling a bit obliged leaned over and gave her a peck on the cheek.

Then she said, "I also remember when you used to hold my hand at every opportunity."

The old man again feeling obligated reached over and gently placed his hand on hers. The elderly woman then stated, " I also remember when you used to nibble on my neck and send chills down my spine."

This time the old man had a blank stare on his face and started to get up off the couch. As he began to walk out of the livingroom his wife asked, "Where are you going?"

The old man looked at her and replied, "To get my teeth!"
_ _ _ _ _
Jon Cuthill is a presenter on BBC Radio Solent. You can listen to him every weekday from 9am-12.30pm, or listen again online at his website

No comments: