Monday 2 June 2008

Here's a funny thing

I've just experienced a new phenomenon.

I tried to write my blog earlier this afternoon but the system wouldn't let me. Now it may be the internet has suddenly upped the standards of it's contributors (have just checked and Peter Andre still has a website so it can't be that) - or it could be merely a matter of taste - but it just plain refused. Denied. Grrrrr!!!

And that's when it struck.

I have begun suffering from blog withdrawl. How sad is that?! Actually don't answer that - I already know the answer. But it got me thinking.

When I started writing this thing it was all new and exciting and I was spending ages staring at my computer screen thinking of something witty/deep to say. Granted when that didn't happen I'd just write any sort of jibberish but jibberish that would "inform and entertain" as per BBC requirement 37a.

But slowly over the months I've noticed it's changed. It has kind of morphed into cyberspace therapy - possibly more for me than you - but therapy nonetheless. A kind of downloading of the bits of life which annoy or frustrate me, or make me happy or sad or stuff I need to get off my chest.

So my blog is my virtual couch and I'm assuming you're sat there in the leather chair with a beard and a clipboard about to ask me to tell you about my parents.

Possibly in a smoking jacket with leather patches on the elbows.

And a pipe.

And slippers.

I've got a lot to tell.

So here's the joke ....

An engineer dies and is sent to Hell. He sets to work on the amenities and after a while they've got hot and cold running water, air conditioning, and flushing toilets. One day God hears about the increasing comfort levels in Hell and demands that the engineer is sent up to Heaven.

"No way!" says the Devil. "I like having an engineer around. I'm keeping him."

God says, "Send him back up here or i'll sue."

"Oh yeah?" says the Devil, "And where are you going to find a lawyer?!"
_ _ _
Jon Cuthill is a presenter on BBC Radio Solent. You can listen to him every weekday from 9am-12.30pm, or listen again online at his website

No comments: