Tuesday 29 April 2008

Back to school

It's happening.

It was always going to happen. I just didn't know where, when or how it would start but yesterday it definitely started.

I felt comfortable wearing corduroy.

I inadvertently dressed like a geography teacher.

Oh my god - I've started to dress like my dad!

Now before all you geography teachers/dads descend on my house with flaming torches and pitchforks ready to drive me out of town you can't deny there is a certain way you dress.
Firstly, and somewhat alarmingly, there is this certain liking for corduroy. Granted it's comfy and warm and strangely comforting but ... hold on - there I go again - I'm actually trying to sell you the idea!?!?! This is more serious than I thought ...

Then came the moss green shirt and stripy tie combo. Put it together with a pair of brown shoes and all I'm short of is a sports jacket with leather patches. I caught myself in the mirror giving myself the old "you're-looking-pretty-sharp-today" glance. I WAS WEARING CORDUROY!!!

It's all very worrying.

I'm actually finding myself going into shops now and finding nothing I'd wear due to the fact a) I don't want my pants on show b) I can't read what is says on the t-shirt and c) even if I could I probably wouldn't understand it.

Hush puppies here I come.

So here's the joke ...

Tonto goes missing and, after two days of searching, the Lone Ranger finds him lying on the ground with his ear firmly pressed to the floor.

"What happened?" says the Lone Ranger.

"White men came this way, on four horses, also have a stagecoach with a lady in the back. Third horse only wear three shoes," replies Tonto.

The Lone Ranger is impressed.

"Tonto I'm amazed. You can tell this from listening to the ground?"

"Nope - they ran me over 2 days ago."
_ _ _ _ _
Jon Cuthill is a presenter on BBC Radio Solent. You can listen to him every weekday from 9am-12.30pm, or listen again online at his website

No comments: