Monday 14 April 2008

Bad habits

If you start doing anything for long enough you'll pick up some bad habits.

It's been pointed out, cruelly in my view, that if you read my blog you'll note a certain repeated insecurity about my age. An over-willingness to mention how old I am normally coupled with something I'm having difficulty doing or understanding.

It's almost like I'm using my age as an excuse.

Age is a funny old thing. You start off wanting to tell anyone and everyone how old you are up until about the age of 10. Then it goes a bit quiet for a few years giving way to constant lying about your age at around about the 16 or 17 mark (reduced fare rail travel and the sale of alcohol are largely to blame).

No one really cares about their age apart from the odd blip (any birthday ending in '0') for the next 30 or so years and then the real deceit takes place - shaving off the odd year here and there depending on whose company you are in and who you're trying to impress. The other word for it of course is denial.

And then the circle is complete as by the time you hit eighty you're so pleased with yourself that you're still alive once again you find yourself telling anyone and everyone exactly how old you are and possibly that you can still tap dance or pull a wheelie on a pushbike.

From now on there'll be no more mention of my age. Just assume I'm still 37.

If anything changes I'll let you know.

A lot.

So here's the joke ...

A woman phoned her husband at work for a chat. "Sorry, darling," he said, "I'm really busy at the moment. I haven't got time to talk."

"Oh this won't take long. It's just that I've got some good news and some bad news."

"Look," he repeated, "I'm really busy - just give me the good news ...."

"Well she said ..... the good news is the air bag works."
_ _ _ _ _
Jon Cuthill is a presenter on BBC Radio Solent. You can listen to him every weekday from 9am-12.30pm, or listen again online at his website

No comments: